Are you ready to create exercise plans for weight loss but you’re just not sure how to get started? The really great news is that making the commitment to begin is the single most important factor!
If you normally lead a sedentary life, then getting out of the house that very first day will be your biggest challenge. It’s easy to justify why tomorrow would be a better day to begin. There’s always going to be something you’d rather do or some inclement weather to blame it on.
- Consider the reasons why you want to become fit.
- Make a list of the pros and cons if that will help you.
- Dig deep and find that self-discipline that will help you make the first move.
- Understand and follow these basic concepts and then create your own exercise plans for weight loss!
How do I create a good exercise program?
Good exercise plans for weight loss consist of the following:
- Aerobic Training–increases the function of the heart, lungs, and circulatory system. This would include activities such as walking, jogging, biking, swimming laps, stair climbing, jumping rope, and dancing.
- Strength Training–helps build and retain muscle. This would include lifting weights, both machines and free weights and other activities that require strength such as power yoga.
- Flexibility–decreases risk of injury, increases blood supply to joints, and improves balance. This would include yoga, tai chi, Pilates, and any other activities involving stretching.
How do I get started? The three elements of activity are:
- Frequency– “How often?” 2-3 times per week for a beginner but work up to 5 times a week.
- Intensity–“How hard?” Let your body be the judge. Shoot for moderate intensity. Sweating is good! Remember that you should be able to carry on a conversation when exercising aerobically.
- Time–“How long?” This can be in minutes or repetitions. Start small and gradually increase as you become stronger and more fit.
NOTE: Frequency and time are more important than intensity! As Nike would say;
“JUST DO IT!”
How do I keep my motivation strong?
- Recruit a buddy.
- Keep an exercise log. Click here to print a free one!
- Schedule your workouts into your daily planner.
- If you don’t have a workout buddy, keep yourself entertained with great workout songs or books on tape.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Treat yourself to a new outfit.
- Never weigh more than once a week.
- Do a mind-shift and start thinking of exercise as “play.”
- Make it as much a part of your day as brushing your teeth.
So, now it is up to you to take this information and create a simple exercise for weight loss that will work for you and your lifestyle. Start today and see big results soon!