So you’re planning ahead and need some easy holiday diet tips that actually work? Great, you’re tackling the problem head on and not ignoring it. For most people, the holiday season is always a challenging time when it comes to eating healthy, that’s just the way it is with so many celebrations! However for those of us trying hard to actually lose weight, the holidays can be a huge problem that can knock us off track quite quickly!
Studies reported show that the average weight person tends to gain is between one and three pounds during the holiday season. That’s not so bad is it? Well, the study went on to report that those few pounds are rarely lost! The news is worse for already overweight people who tend to gain around 5 pounds! Holiday diet tips can help you turn this around.
What’s the holiday season challenge?
The holiday season is a real problem for dieters! Think about it for a moment, temptation is at an all-time high, social gatherings and invitations multiply, food and drinks become the main focus, emotions are magnified, you’ll be busier and more stressed, sleep-deprivation is worsened and the weather keeps you indoors too! There is hope though, let’s look at ways holiday dieting tips and tricks can help you keep on track.
Holiday Quick Weight Loss Secrets.
Below is a list of proven effective tips and techniques to help you stay in control during the holidays. Take a read through and choose the holiday diet tips that you think will work best for YOU and help you to reach your weight loss goals. Then simply adopt them as your own by building them into your daily routines. Then simply stick to them no matter what! Of course, you can expect to slip up every now and again - after all, we’re only human! But get back on track as soon as you can and choose the tips below you think you can manage easiest.
- Keep a food log. This is just another smart step to help you stay aware!
- Eat slowly and savor every bite. Get in the habit of chewing your food really well.
- Avoid the party food so that you don’t mess up your lipstick or get food in your teeth! This may sound silly, but it really works!
- Eat a small, healthy meal before attending a party so that you will be satisfied with just a “sample.” As always, portion control is key!
- Volunteer to bring a dish or appetizer and make it a healthy choice.
- Prepare healthy versions of favorite holiday dishes. Healthy recipes are easy to find and no one will be the wiser.
- If your hostess is pushing food, tell her how delicious it looks and “promise” to have some later. That’s a little white lie that won’t come back to haunt you!
- Even if you don’t normally do this, weigh yourself every morning during the holiday season and write it down in your weight loss journal. Sticking your head in the sand is never a good solution.
Other great ideas to stay in control:
Parties are great social events, so try to focus on the people instead of the food. If you have a friend that is trying to lose weight (or at least not gain) you may find yourselves more successful with the “buddy-system” so that you can encourage each other and discuss your up’s and down’s. Continue with your increased water consumption. It’s important to stay hydrated, but remember that water also encourages feelings of fullness meaning you’ll be less likely to pick at treats. When you’re at these gatherings, watch the holiday cocktails -Especially coffees, eggnog, and holiday spirits which are almost always packed with calories! Enjoy a glass of wine, a wine spritzer, or a Bloody Mary. When drinking liquor, beware of the mixers. This is one of the best holiday diet tips as it’s a huge stumbling block for most!
- When choosing foods to eat, stick with specialty items that are only available during the holidays. Don’t waste your calories on foods that you could have anytime.
- Be extra vigilant between parties. On a day with nothing special planned, eat only vegetables for the whole day, or have days where you skip all starches and sugars. Consider a cleansing-detox diet between events.
- Avoid elastic-waist clothing! Wear form-fitting clothes, Spanx, or a belt–something that makes you aware if you expand.
- Continue with your exercise routine or begin one! Even the smallest efforts can pay off! If you don’t belong to a gym and the weather is uncooperative, there are easy ways to exercise indoors!
Remember, it’s called a holi-DAY, not a holi-MONTH!
If you use these holiday diet tips you will be able to enjoy the holidays without blowing your weight loss goals! Remember that every day is a chance to do it over. Don’t stress over mistakes–just recommit and have a better day! One of the most difficult holiday times for dieting is Christmas, so take a look at dieting at Christmas to get a head start and stay in control! Once you’re done with the season, try a cleansing-detox diet such as the one here to refresh and rejuvenate or take a look at our free weight loss diet plans.