The anti-aging diet is a pretty well known approach of using natural food stuffs as a catapult to looking and feeling young, dropping fat and controlling the effects of aging! Not so much a specific food plan as it is a lifestyle plan, when we talk about the process of aging and what we can do to ‘grow old gracefully’, the two areas we have control over are diet and exercise! This diet is not just for those of us in the autumn of our lives - regardless of our age we can all benefit. Remember, it’s never too early to reap the benefits of a healthy lifestyle and harness the natural power of age defying food!
All Anti-aging diets usually consist of explanations that include words such as ‘free radicals’, ‘antioxidants’ and ‘anti-inflammatory’. Research agrees that anti-inflammatory properties may be the best place to put our focus since science proved that foods in this category actually slow aging at the cellular level! From a straight forward point of view, when you’re trying to eat ‘clean foods’ such as those listed below, you’ll notice there a significant difference in your energy level and depending on your age, joint pain too!
This is a really important thing to remember if you decide to follow the anti aging diet as it forms the basis of the weight loss approach. As much as we all like to look for short cuts in our busy lives, buying and preparing our own foods may be the single-most important thing we can do for our overall wellness! This plan is just one of the many free weight loss diet plans we offer that can help you make major lifestyle improvements.
What does the Anti-Aging diet let me eat?
- Water - hydration is essential!
- Fruits and Vegetables - at least 5-7 servings each day. Stay colorful such as plums, cranberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc.
- Whole Grains - at least 3 servings each day
- Cruciferous Vegetables - cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, etc.
- Legumes (dried beans and peas) - particularly kidney beans, at least 2 times a week
- Fish - especially salmon and tuna rich in omega-3 fatty acids, at least 2 times a week
- Lean Protein - helps maintain muscle
- Nuts - healthy fats (keep portions small because calories are high)
- Yogurt - healthy bacteria - once a day along with other fat-free dairy products
- Healthy Oils - especially canola and olive
- Garlic and Ginger
- Green or Black Tea - freshly brewed (not from a vending machine)
- Red Wine and/or Dark Grapes
- Dark Chocolate - I saved the best for last, but watch your portions!
Bringing it all together..
Eating non-processed foods is an essential part of the anti-aging diet (in fact, it’s the most important part of it!) This is because the natural unprocessed foods are proven to reduce inflammation in our bodies. So make it a priority to eat fresh and locally grown produce whenever possible. Even for those of you that don’t enjoy cooking at home, there are many healthy free Mediterranean diet recipes available that are easy and delicious!
Now that you’ve studied the list of age-defying foods, it’s time to clear out your kitchen and replace it with clean, fresh and unprocessed foods to start reaping the benefits - It’s never too late to get started!