Are you searching for foods that speed metabolism? Metabolism is the word we use that refers to how efficiently we burn energy…or more importantly, calories!
Some people are blessed with a very efficient metabolism, but others are constantly looking for strategies to make theirs work more effectively! Some factors that influence your metabolism simply cannot be changed. Things like genetics, age, and gender are factors beyond your control.
There are some things that you can control! You can boost metabolism naturally. It’s really pretty simple.
Jump-start your metabolism in three steps:
- Eating healthy foods in healthy portions
- Exercising regularly
- Staying hydrated
It would be nice if there were a magic fix such as eating spicy foods or drinking gallons of green tea, but honestly, those special food items offer little in the way of lasting change. Wisely and consistently choosing foods that speed metabolism will enable you to see some progress.
Working out on an empty stomach?
A 2011 report published in Strength and Conditioning Journal reports that the body burns approximately the same amount of fat regardless of whether you eat before or after a workout. The report goes on to state, however, that without proper fuel for the workout, your body may lose muscle, and your calorie-burn will be diminished. This study directly contradicts the myth that exercising on an empty stomach burns more fat.
Foods that speed metabolism:
In order to get the most “bang for the buck” out of the foods you eat, you need to follow a few simple rules:
- Always eat breakfast
- Eat small, frequent meals to provide a steady stream of fuel
- Avoid eating late at night when metabolism is the most sluggish
- Choose foods high in fiber such as whole-grains, fruit, and vegetables
- Choose foods high in complex carbohydrates such as fruits and vegetables
- Choose foods high in lean protein such as fish
- Limit foods high in fat and simple carbohydrates, such as sweets
- Limit alcohol and caffeine
- Be as consistent as possible with your diet to avoid excessive highs and lows
Did You Know?
The process of digestion burns about 10% of your daily calories. You burn more calories digesting protein than either carbs or fat!
Exercise speeds metabolism:
- Your exercise and movement metabolism accounts for 15-30% of your overall metabolism!
- Cardio exercise offers a temporary boost, usually up to several hours
- Weight training offers a permanent boost because it increases your lean muscle mass, which in turn raises your resting metabolic rate.
- Exercising in the morning gives you a boost throughout the day
- Exercising in 10-15 segments throughout the day keeps you burning at a high rate
- Studies show that people who take 500mg of vitamin C daily, burn 39% more fat during exercise
Hydration speeds metabolism:
- If you drink 17 ounces of water, it will boost your metabolism by 30% for 90 minutes, according to a German study.
- Drink 8-12 cups of water a day
- Drink cold water for an added boost. Your body must work harder to warm it up.
- Hydrated cells function better.